Laparoscopy is the surgical method, in which a small camera is passed through the cut in umbilicus, to visualize the internal organs. Even complicated surgeries like
removal of uterus can be performed with this method.
- 1. No admission required.
- 2. Small wound less than 1cm.
- 3. No need rest.
- 4. Precise surgery.
- 5. Minimal blood loss.
- 6. Shorter surgery.
- 7. Surgery can be recorded and viewed later.
- 8. Enlarged and clear view compared to open surgery.
- 9. Cost is comparatively less, when the loss of job and loss of work at home is taken into account.
- 10. No help required at home.
- 11. Excellent for infertility, especially for checking tubes.
- 12. Infections are much lesser compared to open surgery and are easily treatable.
- 13. Easier for surgeons, especially for obese patients as laparotomy is difficult in obese.
- 14. Risk in diabetics minimal.
- 15. Less chance for thrombosis (blood clotting)
- 16. Hysteroscopy gives good vision of uterine cavity and surgery possible to remove polyp, fibroid or correct septum.
- 17. No weight gain risk, as patient do not need rest post op.
- 18. Risk of post op adhesions less.
- 19. Laparoscopy can be repeated any no: of time as only a small scar.
- 20. Risk of injury to viscera minimal ie, 4/1000.
If pregnancy has not been achieved after 3-6 months of treatment, ideally laparoscopy should be done. Taking medicines blindly is bad for the body, as it may increase risk of cancer in future. Proper diagnosis can be reached if laparoscopy is done early.
The skill of surgeon is very important for good result. The equipments also play important role.
Done to evaluate the inside and outside of uterus, B/L tubes, ovaries and pelvis. Tubes can be checked for block. Infection in vagina, cervix, and pelvis can be detected.
Laparoscopy & ovarian drilling
For PCOS, this is effective in getting rid of old follicles and stimulates the ovulation process.
Laparoscopy tubal/ Fimbrial cystectomy
Small cysts on tubes make them ineffective in picking up the egg after ovulation, even if the tubes are open. The surgery helps and is very effective.
Laparoscopy & ovarian cystectomy
Different types of cyst occur and can be managed by laparoscpy.
Laparoscopy & cauterization of endometriosis
The condition causes block in tubes, adhesions, stops ovulation and can cause pain. Surgery needs good skill and high precision and is very effective in infertility.
Laparoscopy for ectopic
Pregnancy occurring outside uterus can be removed by this method.
Fibroid are benign tumours of uterus and can be removed if they affect fertility or if they are symptomatic.
Is done for men with complaints of varicocele.
Other laparoscopy surgeries include laparoscopic hysterectomy, laparoscopic appendectomy, and laparoscopic cholecystectomy.
Hysteroscopy Diagnostic hysteroscopy
Is conducted to check the cavity is normal in size, shape and if tubal opening is clear.
Hysteroscopic polypectomy, hysteroscopic myomectomy, hysteroscopic septal division, hysteroscopic tubal cannulation etc. are also done.
Click Here for Laposcopic Vedeos